Send Topic Print
server emulation (Read 90525 times)
Husstler
Human – Fungus Hybrid

:-)

San Diego
Re: server emulation
Reply #90 - 07/22/14 at 18:36:37

So if I go dig out my game and try to connect online what will happen?  Would I be able to battle some bots, or will it not connect?

-Campbell
campbell83  
IP Logged

Luis
Tom Selleck's Mustache's Mustache

I Love Space Jam!

Reply #91 - 07/22/14 at 19:13:53

You can only connect to Lan and fight two bots.

IP Logged

DARKFORCE
Server Emulation

Reply #92 - 07/23/14 at 08:18:24

Husstler wrote on 07/22/14 at 18:36:37:
So if I go dig out my game and try to connect online what will happen?  Would I be able to battle some bots, or will it not connect?

LAN mode works, but Online mode will throw an error just like the one shown here:

---===TMBO Video Historian===---
IP Logged

Spag
The offspring of Tom Selleck’s and Burt Reynold’s Mustaches

Kvlt

Reply #93 - 08/11/14 at 04:22:01

Great work guys! Very very excited for this.

Funny thing is Metal Gear Online 2's servers were actually revived last month. As much as I loved that game, (and have fanboyed about it on here enough) I am way more interested in the possibility of being able to play TMBO for the first time.

Just eagerly awaiting a list of everything I would need / the whole progess of setting it all up.
I'd be willing to rebuy TMB (with TMBO) a PS2, a PS2 network adapter and the network startup disc just for this.

Anyways would this be easier setup than XLink Kai? Although I heard it wasn't that difficult but, XLink Kai was something I was interested in years ago and trying but I was honestly never really in any position to get it to going.  Sad

IP Logged

Thumpy
The Ghost of Lance Armstrong's Cancer

I Love Space Jam!

Chicago IL  USA
Reply #94 - 08/11/14 at 16:27:02

Hope this works.
And if it does I'll be back along with many others.
I appreciate all your efforts.

All republicans go to heaven.

IP Logged

Aced14
Admin
Server Emulation

Reply #95 - 08/11/14 at 20:55:26

Might as well post a little status update Smiley.

Can't make any guarantees as to when it'll be publicly launched, but IMO closed testing has been going relatively smoothly so far.

The group of players that used to play TMBO via Xlink Kai are currently regularly playing on the revival server. Most can attest to it being a far more stable/enjoyable experience than Xlink Kai ever was.

So far, basic features work fine (logging in, creating rooms, joining rooms, lobby room settings/player lists, etc). Heck, I've even implemented a trick to make the revival server's lobby refresh much faster than the official server ever did (at the cost of inaccurate pings appearing the lobby).

Minor limitations consist of TMBO's built-in account management features not working, lack of support for passworded game rooms, and other things that don't hinder actually playing the game.

As for major things that still need sorting out... the biggest one at the moment would have to be certain problems with players that are behind firewalls. If firewalled players try hosting game rooms, no one else can join in (not even DMZed peers). This is because the revival server isn't yet capable of communicating the port details of peers to firewalled hosts. Having said that, firewalled players can join into rooms hosted by DMZed/port-forwarded players. Players also get a special lobby announcement to warn them about game hosting problems if they're detected as being behind a firewall.

Spag wrote on 08/11/14 at 04:22:01:
Great work guys! Very very excited for this.

Funny thing is Metal Gear Online 2's servers were actually revived last month. As much as I loved that game, (and have fanboyed about it on here enough) I am way more interested in the possibility of being able to play TMBO for the first time.
That's amazing Smiley. Almost makes me want to get a head start on Incognito/ESP's online PS3 games... heh.

Spag wrote on 08/11/14 at 04:22:01:
Just eagerly awaiting a list of everything I would need / the whole progess of setting it all up.
I'd be willing to rebuy TMB (with TMBO) a PS2, a PS2 network adapter and the network startup disc just for this.

Anyways would this be easier setup than XLink Kai? Although I heard it wasn't that difficult but, XLink Kai was something I was interested in years ago and trying but I was honestly never really in any position to get it to going.  Sad
Yes, it would be Smiley. A PC isn't needed at all (unless you need to enable DMZ or forward ports on your router). You'll just need a means of setting up a PS2 network profile (i.e. online startup disc that comes with PS2 network adapters and slim PS2s - or one of these online PS2 games).

IP Logged

Spag
The offspring of Tom Selleck’s and Burt Reynold’s Mustaches

Kvlt

Reply #96 - 08/11/14 at 22:45:18

Aced14 wrote on 08/11/14 at 20:55:26:
Might as well post a little status update Smiley.

Can't make any guarantees as to when it'll be publicly launched, but IMO closed testing has been going relatively smoothly so far.

The group of players that used to play TMBO via Xlink Kai are currently regularly playing on the revival server. Most can attest to it being a far more stable/enjoyable experience than Xlink Kai ever was.

So far, basic features work fine (logging in, creating rooms, joining rooms, lobby room settings/player lists, etc). Heck, I've even implemented a trick to make the revival server's lobby refresh much faster than the official server ever did (at the cost of inaccurate pings appearing the lobby).

Minor limitations consist of TMBO's built-in account management features not working, lack of support for passworded game rooms, and other things that don't hinder actually playing the game.

As for major things that still need sorting out... the biggest one at the moment would have to be certain problems with players that are behind firewalls. If firewalled players try hosting game rooms, no one else can join in (not even DMZed peers). This is because the revival server isn't yet capable of communicating the port details of peers to firewalled hosts. Having said that, firewalled players can join into rooms hosted by DMZed/port-forwarded players. Players also get a special lobby announcement to warn them about game hosting problems if they're detected as being behind a firewall.

That's amazing Smiley. Almost makes me want to get a head start on Incognito/ESP's online PS3 games... heh.

Yes, it would be Smiley. A PC isn't needed at all (unless you need to enable DMZ or forward ports on your router). You'll just need a means of setting up a PS2 network profile (i.e. online startup disc that comes with PS2 network adapters and slim PS2s - or one of these online PS2 games).

Whoa. Thanks for the update Aced. Really good to know, looks like some awesome progess so far   Smiley

...And looks like I'll need to get my hands on a PS2/TMBO.

IP Logged

GeneralChaz9
Spawn of Billy Mays

Indiana, US
Reply #97 - 09/28/14 at 18:57:38

Well my PS2 is screwing up and is hardly reading discs.  How much longer 'til servers are up?  May need to repair.

"They say that the mind bends and twists to deal with the horrors of life.... sometimes it bends so much it snaps in two." PSN: GeneralChaz9   Add me, especially if you want to play Twisted Metal!

IP Logged

Aced14
Admin
Server Emulation

Reply #98 - 09/28/14 at 21:09:11

GeneralChaz9 wrote on 09/28/14 at 18:57:38:
Well my PS2 is screwing up and is hardly reading discs.

Welcome to the club Smiley. My PS2's been in the same boat for a really long time Sad.

In order to play TMBO on my real PS2, I've been using Open PS2 Loader (OPL; homebrew PS2 software) to run a digital copy of one of TMBO discs from a USB flash drive. It works fine, but has some minor downsides (stuttering FMVs and longer loading times).

Running TMBO off a PS2 hard drive is also possible (fastest possible loading times), but it's prone to crashing when loading certain levels in current versions of OPL (HDLoader is also affected).

Long story short, your best option would be to get your PS2's disc drive repaired or get a replacement console. That'll give you the best possible TMBO experience. Otherwise, if you're tech-savyy and feel comfortable doing the necessary research/etc, you could look into setting yourself up to run TMBO off a USB flash drive.

GeneralChaz9 wrote on 09/28/14 at 18:57:38:
How much longer 'til servers are up?  May need to repair.

The server's been up for a while now, but it's still undergoing closed beta testing at this time. I can't commit to any specific "official" launch dates or timeframes.

Recent revisions of the server software apparently introduced stability problems, so the server was recently reverted to an older revision that has fewer issues.

Development has mostly stalled in recent weeks, but should resume again in the near-future. The server software only has 2 main programmers (No23 and I), with DARKFORCE primarily focusing on maintaining the server itself. As a result, development has been kind of sporadic since the beginning of the project.

IP Logged

GeneralChaz9
Spawn of Billy Mays

Indiana, US
Reply #99 - 09/28/14 at 21:13:47

Aced14 wrote on 09/28/14 at 21:09:11:
Welcome to the club Smiley. My PS2's been in the same boat for a really long time Sad.

In order to play TMBO on my real PS2, I've been using Open PS2 Loader (OPL; homebrew PS2 software) to run a digital copy of one of TMBO discs from a USB flash drive. It works fine, but has some minor downsides (stuttering FMVs and longer loading times).

Running TMBO off a PS2 hard drive is also possible (fastest possible loading times), but it's prone to crashing when loading certain levels in current versions of OPL (HDLoader is also affected).

Long story short, your best option would be to get your PS2's disc drive repaired or get a replacement console. That'll give you the best possible TMBO experience. Otherwise, if you're tech-savyy and feel comfortable doing the necessary research/etc, you could look into setting yourself up to run TMBO off a USB flash drive.

The server's been up for a while now, but it's still undergoing closed beta testing at this time. I can't commit to any specific "official" launch dates or timeframes.

Recent revisions of the server software apparently introduced stability problems, so the server was recently reverted to an older revision that has fewer issues.

Development has mostly stalled in recent weeks, but should resume again in the near-future. The server software only has 2 main programmers (No23 and I), with DARKFORCE primarily focusing on maintaining the server itself. As a result, development has been kind of sporadic since the beginning of the project.

I'm pretty decent with that kind of stuff.  Started with my PSP and Custom Firmware way back when. 

However, I've heard that loading from a USB Flash Drive is uber slow, since it's a USB 1.0.  I will still look into it, though, before I think about repairing or replacing. 

And I understand with the server.  I know how hard it can be with only two people working on it, and still maintaining daily life.  Glad to hear that it's working at least!  Keep up the good work.  Cheesy

"They say that the mind bends and twists to deal with the horrors of life.... sometimes it bends so much it snaps in two." PSN: GeneralChaz9   Add me, especially if you want to play Twisted Metal!

IP Logged

Luis
Tom Selleck's Mustache's Mustache

I Love Space Jam!

Reply #100 - 09/28/14 at 22:00:14

Maybe your PS2 lens is drity or needs to be replaced?

IP Logged

GeneralChaz9
Spawn of Billy Mays

Indiana, US
Reply #101 - 09/29/14 at 18:48:13

Luis wrote on 09/28/14 at 22:00:14:
Maybe your PS2 lens is drity or needs to be replaced?

Probably replaced.  I dunno, it's hard finding my problem online.  It is hardly rotating the disc, so I believe it's a problem with the disc drive motor, something got knocked out of place and into the way, the rails need lubed because the rail can't move, etc.  Not exactly sure what the problem is.

IP Logged

Kemmler
Superhero Accountant

PSN: Kemmler_

The Netherlands
Reply #102 - 10/07/14 at 09:58:45

I'm a bit late but good job Aced! Keep it up!
« Last Edit: 10/08/14 at 09:58:42 by Kemmler »  

IP Logged

Ripzsaur
Tom Selleck's Mustache

Reply #103 - 10/07/14 at 16:27:09

Agreed, good job to the team getting this running. I was going to join in with Kai a while back but my laptop can't handle running anything with a low crash percentage.

PSN: Ripzsaur

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print